- 1 What is popcorn Time
- 2 How to Install Popcorn Time on FireStick
- 2.1 How to Install Popcorn Time on FireStick
- 2.2 How to Access and Use the Popcorn Time App on FireStick
- 2.3 Winding Up
- 2.4 What is Popcorn Time ?
- 2.5 Is Popcorn Time legal?
- 2.6 Popcorn Time works using torrents, fair enough. Am I seeding while watching a movie?
- 2.7 So what can I do to protect myself while torrenting ?
- 2.8 What happens to the free movies after I’m done?
- 2.9 Will there be a new version?
- 2.10 How come you’ve got the latest free movies?
- 2.11 Why are some episodes missing?
- 2.12 Will you be adding free movies in my language?
- 2.13 Why can’t I launch Popcorn Time?
- 2.14 I can’t get past the initial Please wait… screen 🙁
- 2.15 Why can’t I select subtitles?
- 2.16 Thinking about launching for Apple TV/Smart TVs/Commodore 64?
- 2.17 When will the iOS application be released?
- 2.18 I have a question that is not listed here, were should I go?
What is popcorn Time
Popcornt time is a streaming software that provides its users free acess to multiple paid subscription based streaming services such as netflix. Popcorn time layout and functions is almost similar to showbox apk and it has been listed by number of torrent sites so the legality of the software depends on the jurisdiction.
Massive media coverage and abrupt users were gained by this software Right after development due to its ease of use as compared to other streaming services. On 14 march 2014 this software was taken down by its devloper due to MPPA (motion picture association of america).
later develops of popcorn time tried its frok in collaboration to butter projet to avoid legal consequneces. But still In October 2015, the MPAA obtained a court injunction from canadian government to stop popcorntime.io forcefully now media reported that this streaming popcorntime is now hosted at a new website popcorntime.sh.
Download Popcorn Time APK v3.2.2. Popcorn Time is a tool that allows you to play hundreds of movies and episodes from TV series directly on your Android device, without having to download anything. Popcorn Time app is very similar to the Windows version. Popcorn Time is posted in Media & Video category and is developed by popcorn-time.to. The average rating is 1.0 out of 5 stars on our website. However, this app was rated 4.5 out of 5 stars according to different rating platforms. You may also leave your review for Popcorn Time on our website so that our users may have a good idea about the app. If you want to know more about Popcorn Time then you may visit official developer’s website for more information. Average rating of 4.5 is calculated by taking account of ratings by 987,607 users. The app was rated 1 stars by 148,155 users and 5 stars by 415,115 users. This app is downloaded minimum 1,000,000 times but the number of downloads might be as high as 5,000,000. Download Popcorn Time if you need a free app from the Media & Video category for your device but you will need Android 4.0 version or higher to install this app.
The download is hassle free as our speed is fast and we offer direct links to all the available 5 versions of the Popcorn Time free.This app was posted on in 2019 and is available since then on ishowboxapk.com.
In this guide, I will show you how to install Popcorn Time on FireStick. The instructions in this guide also work on Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV & Fire TV Cube.
Important: Popcorn Time is a torrent-based app. It downloads the videos as cache on your device before playing. You must have enough storage available to watch the content. When you exit the app, the downloaded cache is automatically deleted.
Popcorn Time is an entertainment service that lets you watch movies and shows for free. The app packs a solid line-up of content and lets you stream them in up to 1080 Full HD resolution. Even though this app is primarily designed for Android mobiles, it works fine with the living room, TV devices like FireStick and Android TV Boxes.
Since Popcorn Time is not fully compatible with the FireStick remote, I recommend installing Mouse Toggle for easier interaction and navigation.
Attention FireStick Users: Read before you continue
Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users’ online activities. If found streaming copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick, you could get into serious trouble. Currently, your IP 22.214.171.124 is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend you to get a good FireStick VPN and hide your identity so that your movie viewing experience doesn’t take a bad turn.
I use ExpressVPN which is the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like their service, you can always ask for a refund. ExpressVPN also has a special deal where you can get 3 months free and save 49% on annual plan.
Here are the reasons why you must use a VPN all the time.
Read: How to install and use VPN for Fire TV Stick
How to Install Popcorn Time on FireStick
For some reason, FireStick will not let you download the APK files from the browsers. Therefore, you need a supporting app, which facilitates sideloading on your FireStick device.
For the most part, I use the following two apps:
- ES File Explorer
I am going to provide the installation instructions for both in this guide.
Note: You only need to use one of the two apps to install Popcorn Time on FireStick. There is no need to follow instructions for both
What you are going to need first is to install the sideloading app from the Amazon Store. You may install any one of them. Here are the steps:
- Go to the Search option of FireStick (it is in the top-left corner on the home-screen – the lens icon)
- Type the name of the app you intend to download (Downloader or ES File Explorer)
- When the name of the app appears in the search results below, click it
- Now simply follow the onscreen instructions and install the desired app
Enable Apps from Unknown Sources
We will get started with installation instructions shortly. But, before we proceed, we must enable Apps from Unknown Sources in FireStick settings. This will allow us to install third-party apps like Popcorn Time. Here is what you do:
- Go to the FireStick Settings from the home screen (select it in the menu bar on the top)
- Click My Fire TV or Device (depending upon what you see in the options)
- Choose the item Developer Options on the next screen
- Select and click Apps from Unknown Sources (by default it is OFF)
- Click Turn on and confirm your intent. Don’t worry about the warning message as Popcorn Time is a safe app.
Now we can get started with the installation procedure.
Install Popcorn Time APK on FireStick Using Downloader
Downloader is the most convenient app for sideloading APKs on FireStick. Here are the steps to install Popcorn Time using this app:
- Open the Downloader app
- The Home option on the left sidebar must be already selected by default. Navigate to the right side of the window and press the Select/OK button on your remote when the cursor blinks in the URL field
- When the following window with onscreen keyboard pops up, enter the URL: https://www.firesticktricks.com/pct (or simply firesticktricks.com/pct). Make sure the URL is typed in correctly and click GO
- It will take about 2-3 minutes for the Downloader to download the Popcorn Time APK file
- As soon as the file is downloaded, Downloader will run it and start the installation process. Navigate to the bottom right corner of this window where you see the Next option (it will change to Install)
- Click Install
- Let FireStick install the Popcorn Time app. It should not take more than 2 minutes
- App Installed notification will appear confirming that Popcorn Time app has been installed. You may want to click Open to run the app. But, for now, click Done to go back to the Downloader app
- Click Delete (this is to delete the Popcorn Time APK file. This file is of no use as the app has been installed. Clear up the limited FireStick storage whenever you get the opportunity)
- Click Delete again
You have successfully installed Popcorn Time on FireStick using the Downloader app.
Before you start streaming with Popcorn Time, I would like to warn you that everything you stream online is visible to your ISP and Government. This means, streaming copyrighted content (free movies and TV shows) might get you into legal trouble.
Thankfully, you can hide your online streaming/browsing activities with a VPN. A VPN a.k.a Virtual Private Network helps you bypass ISP throttling, Government Surveillance, and content geo-restrictions.
I am using ExpressVPN on my Fire Stick, mobile, and PC. After trying several paid and free VPNs, I can say ExpressVPN is the fastest and most secure VPN. Here’s how to install VPN on Fire TV Stick.
We do not encourage the violation of the copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.
Install Popcorn Time on Fire Stick Using ES File Explorer
As I said before, you don’t need to follow this method if you have already installed Popcorn Time through Downloader app. Or, you don’t need to follow the Downloader method if you are using ES File Explorer.
I am assuming you have already installed ES File Explorer from Amazon Store by following the steps I provided earlier. Now, follow these steps to install Popcorn Time on FireStick using ES File Explorer:
- After launching ES File Explorer, go to the right side of the window and click the Downloader icon (as you see in the image below)
- Now navigate to the bottom menu bar and click +New
- You must now see a dialogue box titled Download with two empty text fields. In the space labeled Path, enter the path https://www.firesticktricks.com/pct
In the field marked as Name enter any name you want (it won’t affect the outcome). For instance, I entered PT. Click Download Now
- Let the ES File Explorer connect to the server and download the Popcorn Time APK. It will take a few minutes but not really too long
- When the download is successful, click Open file
- Click Install when the following dialogue box appears
- Navigate to the bottom right of the next screen to where it says Next (which will change to Install)
- Click Install
- Give it a minute or two to install the app
- You will see the notification reading App Installed.
Yes, you have successfully installed the Popcorn Time app using the ES File Explorer app. Go ahead and click Open if you want to run the Popcorn Time app. Click Done if you wish to go back to the ES File Explorer and delete the Popcorn Time APK file.
Files downloaded via ES File Explorer are saved in the Download folder of FireStick. You can access this folder from within ES Explorer app as follows:
- Click Local menu on the left
- There are two Home options under Local. Click the second one
- You will find the Download folder on the right
How to Access and Use the Popcorn Time App on FireStick
You must have noticed that when you install an app, it doesn’t appear on the home-screen of your FireStick. The new apps can be accessed from Your Apps & Channels section. Follow the steps below to access Popcorn Time and to move it to the home-screen:
- Press and hold the Home button on the remote until you see a new, full-screen window popup
- Click Apps to go to Your Apps & Channels
- Scroll down to the bottom and select the Popcorn Time app icon
- You can now run the app from here. If you want to move Popcorn Time to top of the home screen, go to the next step
- Press the menu button on the remote
- Click Move when you see this popup (image below) on the bottom right (or you may click Move to Front to place the app as the first item in the first row ahead of all other apps)
- Now move the Popcorn Time app in one of the top 3 rows for it to show up on the FireStick home-screen
Let’s explore Popcorn Time a bit.
Open Popcorn Time and you may see this prompt appealing to share the app with others. Click Share if want to share it or press the back button on the remote to go the home screen of the app.
This is the home screen of the app. It displays Movies by default. You can change the default in the settings to TV Shows, Anime- Movies, Anime TV Shows.
Popcorn Time is not completely remote-friendly. For a better experience, install Mouse Toggle on FireStick.
To bring up the menu, press the menu button on your remote. Here are the options.
Popcorn Time is a decent app with a solid library of movies, shows, and anime. It is primarily designed for Android mobiles and hence it is not hundred percent remote friendly. With Mouse Toggle you can interact with the app better.
Liked the Guide? Don’t Forget to Share with your Family & Friends
Legal Disclaimer – FireStickTricks.com does not verify the legality or security of any add-ons, apps or services mentioned on this site. Also, we do not promote, host or link to copyright-protected streams. We highly discourage piracy and strictly advise our readers to avoid it at all costs. Any mention of free streaming on our site is purely meant for copyright-free content that is available in the Public domain. Read our full disclaimer.
Disclosure – FireStickTricks.com is reader-supported blog. When you buy a product through links on our site, we may earn commission. Learn More
What is Popcorn Time ?
Popcorn Time is the result of many developers and designers putting a bunch of APIs together to make the experience of watching torrent free movies as simple as possible.
We are an open source project. We are from all over the world. We love our free movies. And boy, do we love popcorn.
Is Popcorn Time legal?
Depends on where you’re from, really. Once again: we’re using torrents, so if you really care, you’d better google what the legal situation around this protocol is where you live.
Popcorn Time works using torrents, fair enough. Am I seeding while watching a movie?
Indeed, you are. You’re going to be uploading bits and bits of the movie for as long as you’re watching it on Popcorn Time.
So what can I do to protect myself while torrenting ?
A VPN is a method to secure and anonymize internet connections using state of the art encryption technology. It protects you against monitoring and renders your identity untraceable in the process, by hiding your IP-address so you can use the internet, Popcorn Time included, safely and anonymously.
What happens to the free movies after I’m done?
our free movies will stay buried in a temporary folder somewhere on your drive until you restart your computer. Then it will be gone for good. You can choose to keep the downloaded files in the settings.
Will there be a new version?
Most definitely. But we do not know when We’ll update our website and let you know via Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and Google+ when we it’s ready.
How come you’ve got the latest free movies?
We search for free movies uploaded by YTS. Better ask them how they are handling this!
Why are some episodes missing?
We grab the TV Show episodes from EZTV/KAT/RARBG. Due to video and audio codec limitations we are very selective on what releases we grab via the API. This is why some TV shows appear to be missing episodes.
Will you be adding free movies in my language?
Chances are that most (if not all) of the free movies available in Popcorn Time will be in English. However, languages for subtitles and the app itself are constantly being added by our lovely contributors.
Why can’t I launch Popcorn Time?
Your system may prevent unsigned apps from being run
Go toSystem Preferences > Security > Allow Apps downloaded from > Anywhere
and try to launch Popcorn Time again.
- $ chmod +x /Applications/Popcorn\ Time.app/Contents/MacOS/node-webkit
- $ chmod +x /Applications/Popcorn\ Time.app/Contents/Frameworks/crash_inspector
- $ chmod +x /Applications/Popcorn\ Time.app/Contents/Frameworks/node-webkit\ Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/node-webkit\ Helper
- $ chmod +x /Applications/Popcorn\ Time.app/Contents/Frameworks/node-webkit\ Helper\ EH.app/Contents/MacOS/node-webkit\ Helper\ EH
- $ chmod +x /Applications/Popcorn\ Time.app/Contents/Frameworks/node-webkit\ Helper\ NP.app/Contents/MacOS/node-webkit\ Helper\ NP
I can’t get past the initial Please wait… screen 🙁
Living on Queen Elizabeth’s realm, aren’t you? Nothing we can do about that right now, sorry.
Why can’t I select subtitles?
You may have to wait until all of the movie data (cover, summary, length, etc…) is retrieved. Sometimes it may be something else!
Thinking about launching for Apple TV/Smart TVs/Commodore 64?
Our efforts are currently towards improving our existing applications for watching torrent free movies. So launching versions for other platforms is not in our immediate roadmap.
When will the iOS application be released?
Once our developers think it’s ready for the world.
I have a question that is not listed here, were should I go?
Our ForumYou could ask your question on our forum that is where our developers are trying to answer every question. And when they do not have time to help you someone else from our community might be able to point you in the right direction